The Fraxel Dual 1550/1927 system consists of two lasers, the 1550nm Er:Glass laser and the 1927nm Thullium Laser. The 2 laser wavelengths allow the laser to treat both the superficial layers as well as the deeper layers of the skin in a single session. In addition, the Fraxel Dual laser opens up channels and allows healing compounds to penetrate into the skin
- The 1550nm Er:Glass laser for skin resurfacing: The laser penetrates deep into the skin layers, specifically targeting concerns such as wrinkles and acne scars
- The 1927 nm Thullium laser for pigmentation and skin rejuvenation: The laser improves skin tone and texture, removes pigmentation (like sunspots, freckles), improves signs of aging, improves pore size and removes superficial skin growths and precancerous growths(actinic keratosis)
- The 1927nm Thullim laser for skin infusion: The laser enhances skin permeability, increasing the benefits of topical skin care products immediately after treatment
- The Fraxel Dual is safe to treat damaged skin on the face as well as off the face ( the arm, hands neck and body)
The Fraxel Dual Laser has received USA-FDA clearance for the treatment of the following:
- Wrinkles around the eye (periorbital wrinkles)
- Age and sun spots (pigmented lesions)
- Acne scars
- Surgical scars
- Skin resurfacing
- Pre-cancerous lesions(actinic keratosis)
The Fraxel Dual Laser technology
- The Fraxel Dual laser provides a non-invasive treatment and resurfaces your skin by stimulating the growth of new, healthy skin cells from the inside out.
- The Fraxel Dual laser uses a patented fractional technology to target damaged skin with microscopic laser columns (called microthermal treatment zone MTZ) that penetrate deep into the skin. The Fraxel laser is designed to treat only a fraction of the skin at one time and this can be from 5 to 45% of the area, hence the name fractional resurfacing.
- The laser induced MTZ treats only a fraction of skin at a time, leaving the surrounding tissues untouched, which promotes rapid healing. This stimulates your body’s own natural healing process, replacing the old and damaged cells with fresh, healthy skin. Hence, most patients enjoy minimal adverse effects, little downtime, and complete healing within 1 week.
- The laser induced MTZ also removes abnormal skin lesions like pigmentation and precancerous skin growths.
- Each MTZ extends from the epidermis to the mid-dermis and allows for deep and superficial resurfacing of the skin.
- The MTZ can be adjusted to different diameters and different depths depending on the skin problems, the skin type and the lifestyle.
- The Fraxel laser uses a patented delivery technology (the intelligent optical tracking system IOTS) which allows the MTZ to be formed independent of the user speed and accuracy of placement. Multiple MTZs are formed as the IOTs handpiece glides over the skin. This is an advantage over other laser systems that use the stamping mode which may leave uneven delivery of MTZ
The Fraxel Dual Laser treatment procedure
- An anaesthetic cream is applied to the skin before treatment
- The Fraxel Dual laser delivers laser light energy into the skin as the laser hand piece glides over the skin. A cool air is used simultaneously to cool the skin and this improves safety and decrease any discomfort
- You will feel a sensation of heat during treatment
- Treatment is completed within 20-25 minutes
- Depending on the level of treatment, you may experience redness or swelling after the procedure which diminishes as quickly as the next day or over the next few days. During the first 24 hours after treatment, your skin may feel as though it is sunburned, and it will appear pink or red. You can wear make-up to reduce the sunburn appearance.
- Your skin will naturally bronze over the next few days or weeks. As with a sunburn, your skin will flake and exfoliate normally, revealing a smooth looking skin. You can use a moisturizer to reduce the appearance of dry flakes.
- Potential side effects are temporary and include prolonged redness, swelling, blistering, scarring, infection, pigmentary changes (hyperpigmentation), herpes reactivation and acne flare-up. The intensity and duration of side effects depend on the aggressiveness of a treatment and on your particular healing characteristics
Results after a Fraxel Dual Laser treatment
- You can expect two levels of results, early and progressive
- Early results: After initial healing is completed, the surface of your skin will feel soft and smooth, look bright and show a more even skin tone
- Progressive results occur over the next three to six months as the deeper layers of the skin continue to create new collagen.
- The benefits are:
- Smooth, fresh, young looking skin
- Improved skin tone and texture
- Removal of unwanted brown spots
- Less fine lines and wrinkles around the eyes
- Improved appearance of acne scars and surgical scars
- Removal of precancerous skin lesions
The Fraxel Peel
The Fraxel peel is a skin resurfacing treatment using the Fraxel Dual wavelengths to improve skin texture, skin tone, remove fine lines and wrinkles and to rejuvenate the skin. The depth of the peel will depend on the skin problems