Coolsculpting is a non-invasive non-surgical procedure that is USA-FDA cleared to reduce fat in problem areas of the body by a process called cyolipolysis (fat-freezing). It is also USA-FDA cleared to affect the appearance of lax tissue with submental area treatments. This results in noticeable, natural-looking fat reduction in the treated areas of men and women. The Coolsculpting procedure is not a treatment for weight loss
The Coolsculpting treats visible fat bulges in
The Coolsculpting technology
Within the fat cells, crystals form and the fat cells die through programmed cell death (or apoptosis) in the first two to three days following treatment
As fat cells die they collapse and a natural inflammatory process removes the dead cells through the lymphatic system (or blood stream)
The natural inflammatory process removes dead fat cells for up to four months after treatment resulting in fat layer reduction. There is up to 27% reduction of fat in a treated area
The Coolsculpting treatment procedure
- Not everyone is suited for fat-freezing and is not done if you have
- Cold agglutinin
- Paroxysmal cold haemoglobinuria
- The procedure is not painful and you do not need any pain relief medication
- Dr Joyce Lim will perform a 360° global assessment of the body and address all potential treatment areas
- Dr Lim will mark the treatment area
- A clear anti-freeze gel pad is applied to the treatment area. This creates a barrier between the cooling panel and your skin
- A special applicator is placed on the area requiring fat removal. The cool advantage applicator has a large cooling panel which gives 360 degrees cooling
- There are different applicators for the different areas
- A vacuum technology is used to pull the targeted tissue into the applicator.
- You will feel a slight suction sensation as the applicator is applied to the area.
- During the procedure you may feel pulling, tugging, mild pinching, cold, tingling, stinging, aching and cramping. These sensations subside as the area becomes numb
- It is a comfortable procedure. Some people take a nap, while others watch videos, read, answer emails or chat with a friend.
- Cryolipolysis is completed in 35 minutes
- When the treatment is over, the applicator is detached and the area is massaged to break up the treated fat cells and enhanced blood circulation. This may be followed by a shock wave (z-wave) treatment to further break up the fat cells
- After the treatment the area may be red, swollen and firm.
- The apoptotic fat cells are naturally eliminated through the body’s natural process
- Results are seen at 1-3 months, according to the metabolic rate. People with a higher metabolic rate may see results earlier than someone with a slower metabolic rate
- There is up to 27% reduction of fat in a treated area
- Side-effects include bruising, tingling, stinging, tenderness, cramping, aching, itching and pain. If the submental or submandibular areas are treated, you may feel a sensation of fullness in the back of the throat
- Rarely there may be paradoxical adipose hyperplasia where the treated fat becomes enlarged 2-5 months later