Spider veins are formed by the dilation of a small group of blood vessels located close to the surface of the skin. Although they can appear anywhere on the body, spider veins are most commonly found on the face and legs. They usually pose no health problem but may produce a dull aching in the legs after prolonged standing
Causes of spider veins
- Photo damaged skin and aging
- Skin inflammation: rosacea
- Pregnancy and hormonal influences
Varicose veins are abnormally swollen or enlarged blood vessels caused by a weakening in the vessel wall. They can be harmful to a patient’s health and needs treatment
Complications of varicose veins
- Phlebitis or inflamed tender vein
- Thrombosis or a clot in the vein
- Venous stasis ulcers or open sores from inadequate tissue oxygen and fluid retention.
Treatment of spider veins and varicose veins
- Laser treatment: Pulse dye V beam laser, Excel V Nd-YAG laser
Sclerotherapy is a treatment for removing spider veins and some varicose leg veins. A specially developed chemical solution is injected with a very small needle into the spider or varicose vein. The solution causes the vein to close up or collapse and become scar tissue that is eventually absorbed by the body. The work of carrying the blood is shifted to other healthy blood vessels nearby. Although sclerotherapy works for existing spider veins, it does not prevent new ones from developing.
- The skin is cleaned and a tiny needle with the sclerosing agent is injected into the vein
- One to three injections are usually required to effectively treat any vein
- The same area should not be retreated for four to six weeks to allow for complete healing, although other areas may undergo treatment during this time.
- Post-sclerotherapy treatment includes wearing bandages and support hose for two days to three weeks following treatment
- Walking and moderate exercise may also help speed recovery
- Minor side-effects seen include a slight swelling of the leg or foot, minor bruising, itching, redness and moderate soreness. These are temporary