Hair biostimulation is a haircare treatment to promote hair growth. In the scalp, the enzyme 5-alpha –reductase converts testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). Besides causing minituarisation of hairs, DHT disrupts the binding of essential proteins and nutrients to cells in the hair follicle. In time lack of nutrients leads to a weakening of the hair follicles.
Types of hair biostimulation
- Cosmeceutical hair biostimulation
- Laser hair biostimulation
- Home laser hair biostimulation
Candidates for hair biostimulation
- Works well for both male and female patients
- There must be living hair follicles in the area to be treated
Cosmeceutical hair biostimulation
Hair tonics containing nano-encapsulated ingredients like plant stem cells, biomimetic peptides and other essential nutrients are applied to the scalp. Hair growth is promoted through angiogenesis. There are limited scientific evidence on the mode of action.
Laser hair biostimulation
Laser biostimulation uses laser lights at 650nm and 670nm wavelengths to increase nutrient transport and cellular ATP production of cells in the scalp. This results in increased protein production, intracellular nutrient acquisition and cell proliferation. This process ultimately leads to a decrease in DHT-dependent disruption of follicular protein and nutrient loss and to the maintenance of healthy scalp hair. The laser’s low-level energy does not alter molecular structures, but stimulates the body’s mechanism to repair and heal itself
Results of laser hair biostimulation:
- Improvement in blood microcirculation
- Increase in nutrients to hair follicles
- Regeneration of new and healthier cells in the scalp
- Increase in hair quality, hair thickness and hair regrowth
The illumiWave Pro laser for hair biostimulation
- The illumiWave Pro laser uses 181 multi-wavelength lasers (90 laser diodes at 670nm and 91 laser diodes at 650nm) to stimulate hair improvement effects.
- The laser energy is delivered to the scalp which in turn opens up the vascular network within the scalp by using a cell signalling process.
- This initiates protein synthesis, increases cellular stimulation, increases microcirculation by mobilizing calcium stores and increases adenosine-5-triphospate (ATP) production.
- The increased ATP production cascades into increased protein and nutrient production which is delivered up to the hair follicle site.
The illumiWave Pro laser biostimulation procedure
- The patient sits under the laser light for 20-30 minutes
- The procedure is comfortable and pain-free. Some patients may report a mild tingling or warm sensation which typically goes away within 20 minutes after completing the treatment
- Patient can resume normal activities after the procedure
- Over the course of the year, most patients will receive an average of 44 treatments.
The illumiWave Pro treatment protocol
The most common protocol by Dr Joyce Lim is to put patients on 2-3 treatments per week for 8 weeks, then 1-2 treatments per week for 8 weeks and then every other week per month for the remainder of the year. Protocols can be changed to a certain degree to fit the patient’s lifestyle. Patient has to wait a minimum of 48 hours in between treatments as to not over treat, but not wait longer than 2 weeks in between treatments for the first year. Most patients will see full stabilization of hair loss within 3 months and hair regrowth can be seen as early as 6 months. After the first year is completed, patients come in every 1 to 2 treatments per month for maintenance.
Advantage of the illumiWave Pro laser biostimulation
- Safe and effective
- No reported side-effects so far
- Pain-free: Some people may report a mild tingling or warm sensation which is transient
- Convenient: patients sit under the laser light for 20 minutes, wear laser safety goggles and they can read a book or use an electronic device during the treatment
Effectiveness of the illumiWave Pro laser (Published data )
- 100% patients have hair retention/resisted hair loss
- 83-97% patients have increased hair regrowth in the vertex area
- 75-85% patients have increase hair regrowth in the frontal area
Ref : Systematic review of low-level laser therapy for adult androgenic alopecia. DelaneySW, ZhangP J Cosmetic Laser Ther 2018;20(4):229-236
Home laser hair biostimulation
IGrow is an at-home, FDA-cleared, Low Level Light Therapy (LLLT) device that is used to help stimulate hair growth for both men and women. It is often used for maintenance after completing the laser treatment in the clinic. The laser helmet is worn at home for 20 minutes and the treatment repeated 3 times a week. It is convenient and pain free