Dermal fillers are made of a variety of substances, some naturally occurring and some synthetic. They differ in their characteristic, density, texture and longevity. Choosing the right type of dermal filler requires an experienced dermatologist with an understanding of the facial anatomy and injection techniques as well as a good knowledge of the pros and cons of each filler.
Hyaluronic acid dermal filler
Hyaluronic acid (HA) dermal fillers contain cross-linked HA which is stabilised with chemical bonds which can be BDDE or non-BDDE. Since HA is compatible to the body, HA fillers are safe and do not cause skin allergy when injected into the skin. HA dermal fillers have the advantage that they can be dissolved by an enzyme, hylase, in case of adverse event or if the person dislikes the appearance and wishes to have it removed
Calcium hydroxylapatite (Radiesse) dermal filler
Calcium hydroxylapatite CaHA(Radiesse) is made up of a mineral-like compound naturally found in human bones. It has a 2-fold action.
- Initial phase: Serves as a filler
- Later phase: Stimulates collagen and increases skin thickness over time
Sculptra dermal filler
Sculptra dermal filler is a stimulatory filler that contains poly-L-lactic acid (PLLA) and has been used since 1999. PLLA is an inert material found in skin suture and is biocompatible, biodegradable and resorbable It is different from other dermal fillers in its collagen replenishing process.
- Initially there is a temporary filling effect due to the volume of the injected filler and this lasts for a week.
- Then the PLLA acts as a catalyst that stimulates new collagen formation to give you a natural look that can last up to 2 years
- Over time, the body’s natural metabolic processes absorbed the PLLA, leaving behind your own natural collagen.
Profhilo dermal filler
Profhilo is a BDDE-free stabilised injectable HA dermal filler that can bio-stimulate 4 types of collagen, elastin and proliferate adipose (fat) stem cells for addressing skin laxity and signs of skin ageing. Usually 2 sessions done at 4 weeks apart are required It has several advantages compared to other HA fillers
- Skin hydration: Profhilo has the highest concentration of HA at 32mg/ml
- Only 5 injection points to treat full face: less risk of bruising
- Spreads very well: With 5 injections points, profhilo can spread extensively to cover the entire face with no risk of lumpiness
- Bio-remodelling: Increases natural collagen and elastin
- Provide structure and volume to the skin
Dermal fillers treatment to enhance your appearance
Dermal fillers can be injected in various areas of the face and body to enhance the appearance such as
- Smooth out lines on the forehead, around the eyes (crow’’s feet), around the nose (nasolabial folds lines), around the mouth (the marionete lines), cheeks (accordion lines), vertical lip lines (bar code) and chin crease
- Enhance and restore volume to temples, sunken cheeks, mid face
- Improve symmetry among facial features
- Correct downward pointing nose tip with dermal fillers and wrinkle injection
- Plump and enhance the lips
- Smooth deep line below the eyes(tear trough)
- Fill acne scars
- Rejuvenate hands
Dermal fillers to enhance facial contour
In addition, dermal fillers are often injected to improve the facial contour
- Create a full and curved forehead
- Lift and enhance cheeks
- Nose fillers: Straighten deviated nose, smooth out nose bumps, increase the height of the nose
- Chin: Increase the size of a small chin, improve the chin projection, sharpen chin for a V or U-shaped face
- Pre-jowl area: Improve the jawline and sagging
- Neck contour: Improve the sagging upper neck
- Full face: Create a more oval and lifted face. This is often combined with wrinkle injections(neuromodulation)
Dermal filler for lip enhancement
As we age the lips lose its volume and shape and become thinner, and the lips lose the outline and cupids bow. The corners of the lip turn downwards. These signs of aging can be corrected using a combination of dermal fillers and botulinum neurotoxin injections.
Using combination treatments with dermal fillers and wrinkle injections, the lips can be enhanced with the following such as:
- Lip border(vermillion ): define the lip outline
- Lip volume decrease with age: enhance with dermal fillers
- Lip body: create small tubercle or pout with dermal fillers
- Cupid’s bow(V shaped) and philtrum: enhanced with dermal filler
- Smoker’s line(bar code): eliminate with dermal fillers and wrinkle injections
- Downward corners of mouth: lifted with dermal fillers
Dermal fillers for skin hydration (Skin Boosters)
Skin boosters are microinjections of hyaluronic acid(HA) into the skin to increase skin hydration and improve skin clarity, firmness and smoothness. The skin hydration (skin booster) treatment includes the following steps:
- Topical anaesthesia is applied before the treatment
- Each treatment involves a series of microinjections of stabilised HA into the skin using a delivery system. Immediately after, tiny pinpricks may be seen and this resolve spontaneously within a day or two.
- A typical treatment program with Skin boosters is made up of three initial treatment sessions with 2 to 4 weeks apart. The initial 3-treatment program is done once and after that one treatment about every 6 months is recommended.
- Some dermal fillers can give the same effect after one treatment
The dermal filler treatment procedure
A proper consultation is necessary to evaluate the specific areas of concern to suit your expectation and to ensure safety and best cosmetic outcome. A review of what to expect before, during and after the dermal filler injection as well as side-effects and complications are essential. Finding the right doctor to perform dermal filler procedure is paramount and you should not be afraid to ask about training and certification of the doctor
- The area to be treated will be cleaned with antiseptic and iced before the injection.
- You may feel a tiny pricking sensation as the needle or blunt cannula enters the skin. The whole procedure takes 15-20 minutes.
- You can resume normal activities and makeup immediately after the procedure.
- Avoid massaging the treated area for at least 24 hours. You can use ice compress to alleviate any swelling or bruising after the procedure.