Photo Rejuvenation is a non-ablative skin rejuvenation treatment using pulses of intense light or laser light energy to simultaneously repair collagen in the dermis while erasing signs of aging in the epidermis. It is also known as “photo facial” or skin photo rejuvenation. Sometimes it is added with infra-red light to give an added non-surgical skin tightening
Advantages of Photo Rejuvenation
- No downtime and suitable for someone who cannot take time off work
- Improve sun-damaged and photoaged skin
- Improve facial redness, flushing, broken veins, and capillaries
- Improve skin pigmentation, uneven skin tone, and brown spots
- Improve fine lines and wrinkles and skin roughness
- Improve enlarged pores
- Improve stretch marks.
What are the different types of Photo Rejuvenation?
- Intense pulse light/broadband light (Sciton BBL Photo Rejuvenation)
- Stella M22 Optimal Pulse Photo Rejuvenation
- Infrared light Photo Rejuvenation
- Laser Photo Rejuvenation
- Stella M22 ResurFX Photo Rejuvenation
- Fraxel 1927nm Thullium Photo Rejuvenation
- Cutera Laser Genesis Photo Rejuvenation
- Candela Picoway Resolve Photo Rejuvenation
- Candela Pulse Dye Photo Rejuvenation
- Advatx Laser Photo Rejuvenation
- LED Photo Rejuvenation
Sciton BBL HERO and MOXI photo rejuvenation
BBL HERO and MOXI photorejuvenation is a combination treatment using the broad band light Hero (High Energy Rapid Outcome) and the MOXI, a non-ablative fractional 1927nm laser to rejuvenate skin and improve the early signs of skin aging.
The BBL HERO utilizes the power of pulsed light to reduce skin dyschromia, redness and texture irregularities. The BBL HERO will also gently heat the upper layers of your skin thereby stimulating your skin cells to generate new collagen, giving you rejuvenated skin a smooth and vibrant glow. The MOXI laser creates micro injuries in the skin and stimulates the body’s natural healing process to boost skin cell regeneration and renewal giving an overall even skin tone and texture
Improvements can be noticed after a single BBL HERO/MOXI treatment. It is often used as an ongoing skin treatment regimen for men and women looking to maintain a youthful appearance.
The aim of the Sciton BBL HERO/ MOXI Photo Rejuvenation is to
- Improve skin imperfections – brown and red spots, lines and wrinkles, pores
- Improve facial redness, rosacea and small blood vessels
- Improve acne
- Improve skin tone and texture
- Improve photoaging and early signs of skin aging
- Maintain healthy skin
- Delay skin aging (pre-juvenation)
The Sciton BBL HERO and MOXI Photo Rejuvenation Procedure
- The eyes are protected with safety eye shields
- A cold gel is applied to the area to be treated and the BBL handpiece is gently glide over to the skin to deliver pulses of light. The BBL broadband light is non-invasive and safe with minimal discomfort
- You may briefly feel a sensation as the light is absorbed by the targeted areas
- The BBL procedure takes 20-30 minutes depending on the area being treated.
- No anesthesia is required
- After the BBL procedure the gel is removed
- The MOXI laser is then applied over the same area
- After the procedure, you may see mild redness in the treated area immediately after which should resolve within the hour. For some pigmented lesions you may see a darkening of the treated areas followed by fading and flaking off at a later stage. Your treated skin will also feel smooth with fine wrinkles and pores being less noticeable.
- A series of 3 to 5 treatments, spaced 4 weeks apart are typical for most patients.
- Sciton BBL HERO and MOXI Photo Rejuvenation is safe for all skin types and can be performed on any area of the body where an improvement in your skin’s firmness, clarity, and texture is desired. Popular areas include the face, neck, abdomen, and hands
The Forever Young BBL
A new study by Stanford University and published in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology in August 2012 showed that the Sciton BroadBand Light (BBL™) treatments can change the expression of genes associated with the aging process to more closely resemble young skin.
The study supports the hypothesis that regulators of aging can be altered in human skin using BBL technology to provide a functional change, rather than just a cosmetic mimic of a youthful appearance. BBL treatments promote the appearance of youthful skin. This study reveals that the appearance of younger skin may be due to the differences observed in gene expression patterns of aged skin becoming more like young skin. This procedure has been called the Forever Young BBL treatments.
Infra-red Photo Rejuvenation
The infra-red light Photo Rejuvenation with the Sciton SkinTyte is a non-surgical skin tightening treatment. It can be combined with the Sciton BBL light to rejuvenate and tighten skin – this treatment is called the STAR treatment. The STAR treatment addresses the full spectrum of skin conditions associated with an aging, active lifestyle, and sun damage.
The LED Photo Rejuvenation
The LED lamp uses a matrix of light-emitting diodes (LEDs) that deliver narrowband light at a specific wavelength. There are different LED wavelengths
- Blue LED light: Treat acne-causing bacteria
- Red LED light: Treat acne-causing bacteria, reduces redness and rosacea
- Near-infrared LED light: Boosts collagen and elastin production, speeds up wound healing after laser or skin surgery
- Infra-red LED light: Penetrates deeper into the skin to rebuild and tighten skin tissue
LED Photo Rejuvenation uses near-infrared or infrared LED light – a process called photobiomodulation
LED Photo Modulation/Photo Rejuvenation procedure
- The eyes are protected with goggles
- The LED lamp is lowered to a few centimeters above the face and is switched on
- You will sense a fairly bright light
- You might feel a mild warmness but there is no pain or discomfort
- The treatment lasts 20-30 minutes
- After the procedure, if the skin is sensitive it may be pink for a short while. Over time the skin looks firm and smooth
Lumenis Stella M22 Optimal Pulse Photo Rejuvenation
The Lumenis M22 Optimal Pulse Photo Rejuvenation utilises intense pulses of light to improve skin quality and rejuvenate the skin. It is often referred to as the M22 Photo Facial. The M22 is a new generation of Intense Pulse light (IPL) which uses Optimal Pulse Technology (OPT) to deliver safe and effective light energy for Photo Rejuvenation. The pulses of light remove unwanted skin pigments, treats skin redness, broken capillaries and rosacea, treats acne, stimulate collagen and elastin production in the skin and result in a smooth, clear skin
Results of Lumenis Stellar M22 Optimal Pulse Photo Rejuvenation
- Skin looks fresh with an even skin tone
- Skin is less oily and pores are smaller
- Redness and fine blood vessels are improved
- Skin surface is smooth with reduction of fine lines and wrinkles
- Skin feels firm
- Acne improved
The Lumenis Stellar M22 Optimal Pulse Photo Rejuvenation Procedure
- The skin is cleaned
- Safety eye shields are put over the eyes and a cold gel applied on the skin
- The cool sapphire glass guide is placed on the skin and delivers the Optimal Pulses of Light. The device cools the skin between pulse, reducing the risk of skin damage.
- You may experience a stinging sensation as the light is flashed onto the skin but it should not be painful
- The whole treatment lasts 10-20 minutes depending on the area being treated
- After the procedure, there may be a mild transient redness. The brown pigments may darken and this will be drop off within a week. Any broken capillaries may disappear or appear thinner.
- The M22 Optimal Pulse Photo Rejuvenation is safe and effective in treating the face, the neck and decolletage, the arms and the back of the hands
The M22 Optimal Pulse Photo Rejuvenation can be used to treat a variety of medical skin conditions like acne and rosacea as well as cosmetic skin problems like skin pigmentation, broken capillaries and skin pores
Lumenis Stella M22 ResurFX Photo Rejuvenation
The Lumenis Stella M22 ResurFX uses a laser for Photo Rejuvenation. It uses heat to stimulate the production of collagen and to rejuvenate the skin. It treats textural issues and signs of aging like
- Enlarged pores
- Fine lines and wrinkles, such as the vertical lip lines around the mouth and eyes
- Sun-damaged skin, including the brown spots related to sun exposure
- Superficial acne scarring
The Lumenis Stella ResurFX Photo Rejuvenation Procedure
- A topical anaesthesia is applied on the clean skin before treatment
- After removing the anaesthetic cream, safety laser goggles are used
- The laser beam is directed onto the skin. It treats a fraction (6%) of the skin in a controlled manner, causing microscopic coagulation channels into the skin. This minimises side-effects and down time.
- You may feel a sensation of heat but there is no pain
- Only one pass is required unlike other fractionated lasers. The procedure takes 15-20 minutes depending on the area being treated
- After the procedure, you may see a mild swelling in the treatment and this may last 1-2 days. There may be mild flaking of the skin over the next few days. You can apply make-up and resume your daily activities.
Fraxel 1927 nm Thullium Laser Photo Rejuvenation
The Fraxel 1927nm Thullium Laser Photo Rejuvenation results in 2 levels of skin rejuvenation, early and progressive improvements. After the initial healing the Fraxel 1927nm Thullium Photo Rejuvenation
- Improves skin tone and texture
- Removes pigmentation
- Improves signs of aging
- Improves pore size
- Removes superficial skin growths, including precancerous skin growths.
Over the next 6 months, the skin continues to create new collagen, improving the skin texture, the skin tone, the skin wrinkles and pore size..
The Fraxel 1927nm Thullium Photo Rejuvenation Procedure
- An anaesthetic cream is applied to the skin before treatment
- The Fraxel 1927nm Thullium laser delivers laser light energy onto the skin as the laser hand piece glides over the skin. A cool air is used simultaneously to cool the skin and this improve safety and decrease any discomfort
- You will feel a sensation of heat during treatment
- Treatment is completed within 20-25 minutes
- Depending on the level of treatment, you may experience redness or swelling after the procedure which diminishes as quickly as the next day or over the next few days. During the first 24 hours after treatment, your skin may feel as though it is sunburned, and it will appear pink or red. You can wear make-up to reduce the sunburn appearance.
- Your skin will naturally bronze over the next few days. As with a sunburn, your skin will flake and exfoliate normally, revealing a smooth looking skin. You can use a moisturizer to reduce the appearance of dry flakes.
- Immediately after the treatment products to improve skin tone or skin elasticity can be applied. The Fraxel 1927nm Thullium enhances skin permeability, increasing the benefits of topical skin care products immediately after treatment.
Cutera Laser Genesis Photo Rejuvenation
Cutera Laser Genesis Photo Rejuvenation uses the Nd-YAG long pulse laser to gently heat the upper dermis well below the skin’s surface and this heating stimulates collagen regrowth. Additional heat is generated in dilated capillaries to reduce facial or skin redness.
The Cutera Laser Genesis Photo Rejuvenation procedure
- The eyes are protected with safety laser goggles
- The laser handpiece is moved back and forth about 1-2 cm above the skin. You may experience a gentle warming of the skin surface. Some people described the laser genesis treatment as relaxing. No anesthesia is required
- Each treatment takes 20 minutes.
- After the treatment, there may be mild redness or swelling and this is normal
- Usually, 4-6 treatments at monthly intervals are required
Advantages of Laser Genesis Photo Rejuvenation
- It is comfortable and does not require anesthesia
- It restores skin glow and complexion
- It smooths out fine lines and skin roughness
- It reduces pore size, redness, brown spots, and red veins
Candela Picoway Resolve Fractional Photo Rejuvenation
Candela Picoway Resolve Photo Rejuvenation is a treatment using a fractional laser that delivers 2 wavelengths – the green 532 nm wavelength and the infra-red 1064nm wavelength. The laser light delivers fractional laser energy in the picosecond (that is one Trillionth of a second) and the Candela PIcoway laser has the shortest picosecond pulse (300picosecond) and the highest peak power among picosecond lasers.
The Candela Picoway Resolve holographic handpiece
The Candela Picoway resolve holographic handpiece delivers fractionated picosecond laser beams into the epidermis and dermis to create laser-induced optical breakdown(LIOB) and laser-induced cavitation (LIC) which in turn stimulates collagen and elastin. A fraction of the skin is treated at one time, leaving healthy skin around the treated area to promote quick healing The picosecond resolve holographic laser can:
- Rejuvenate skin
- Improve skin clarity and radiance
- Improve skin tone and pore size
- Improve skin texture
The Candela Picoway Resolve Photo Rejuvenation procedure
- The eyes are protected by safety laser goggles
- The Picowave Resolve handpiece is paint brushed over the skin till the desired endpoint is reached. You may feel a warm sensation
- After the treatment, there may be transient reddening of the skin which subsides spontaneously or within a few hours. You can resume normal activities after the laser treatment.
Candela Pulse Dye V beam Laser Photo Rejuvenation
The Candela Pulse Dye V beam laser beam is selectively absorbed by the oxyhemoglobin in red blood cells resulting in heating of the blood vessels. With the correct wavelengths and fluence, the vascular lesion will be heated to above 70 degrees Celsius. At that temperature, blood vessels will shrink which leads to a reduction of the vascular lesion. As the Candela Pulse Dye V Beam laser light is absorbed by the blood vessels within the skin, there is a release of growth factors. The growth factors stimulate collagen growth and result in
- Improvement of fine lines, pore size, skin texture, and skin firmness
- The blood vessels diminished in size and the skin redness improved
- Brown spots can also be removed by the Pulse Dye V Beam laser light.
The Candela Pulse Dye V beam Photo Rejuvenation procedure
- The eyes are protected by safety laser goggles
- The laser delivers a cooling mist onto the skin before the laser pulse is emitted. This cooling mist increases comfort during treatment as well as protects the skin to minimize side-effects like redness
- During treatment, you will feel a warming or tingling sensation or a sensation like a small rubber band hitting the skin. No anesthesia is required
- There may be redness immediately after the procedure and this will clear within 1-2 hours.
- You can resume normal activities and apply makeup after the procedure. No specific care is needed and you should use sunscreen.
- Over the course of 4-6 treatments, you will notice improvements in redness and flushing as well as in lines and wrinkles. The skin complexion improves, pores are smaller and signs of photoaging improved.
- Most people will feel a firming or tightening of the skin.
The ADVATx laser photorejuvenation
The ADVATx laser is a dual-wavelength laser that combines 2 lasers delivering the yellow light 589 nm and infra-red light 1319 nm wavelengths. It has over 15 US FDA/CE cleared indications including vascular conditions, acne, scars, warts, and wrinkles. It is used to
- Improve skin tone and dyschromia
- Lighten melasma and unwanted pigments
- Reduce wrinkles and improve skin texture
- Improve sun damage
- Clear acne and acne scars
- Reduce pore size
- Treat vascular birthmarks
- Treat spider veins and vascular abnormalities
- Treat rosacea
- Gold Microparticles Photothermal therapy
The ADVATx laser photo rejuvenation procedure
- The procedure is comfortable and does not need anesthesia
- The eyes are protected by safety laser goggles
- The laser beam is delivered across the skin in a to and fro motion
- The 2 laser lights are delivered one after the other
- You may feel a warm sensation during treatment
- There may be a mild redness seen but this will subside within the next hour.
- You can resume normal activities after the treatment.