Photo Rejuvenation is a non-ablative skin rejuvenation treatment using pulses of intense light or laser light energy to simultaneously repair collagen in the dermis while erasing signs of aging in the epidermis. It is also known as “photo facial” or skin photo rejuvenation. Sometimes it is added with infra-red light to give an added non-surgical skin tightening
Advantages of Photo Rejuvenation
- No downtime and suitable for someone who cannot take time off work
- Improve sun-damaged and photoaged skin
- Improve facial redness, flushing, broken veins, and capillaries
- Improve skin pigmentation, uneven skin tone, and brown spots
- Improve fine lines and wrinkles and skin roughness
- Improve enlarged pores
- Improve stretch marks.
What are the different types of Photo Rejuvenation?
- Intense pulse light/broadband light (Sciton BBL Photo Rejuvenation )
- Infrared light Photo Rejuvenation
- Laser Photo Rejuvenation
- LED Photo Rejuvenation
Sciton Broadband Light (BBL)Photo Rejuvenation
The Sciton BBL broadband light utilizes the power of pulsed light to target and eliminates unwanted melanin responsible for pigmented lesions and many of the fine vessels that cause redness. The Sciton BBL light energy will also gently heat the upper layers of your skin thereby stimulating your skin cells to generate new collagen, giving your rejuvenated skin a smooth and more vibrant glow. The aim of the BBL Photo Rejuvenation is to
- Improve skin imperfections – brown and red spots, lines and wrinkles, pores
- Maintain healthy skin
- Delay skin aging
The Sciton BBL Photo Rejuvenation Procedure
- The eyes are protected with safety eye shields
- A cold gel is applied to the area to be treated and the BBL handpiece is gently applied to the skin to deliver pulses of light. The BBL broadband light is non-invasive and safe with minimal discomfort
- You may briefly feel a rubber band snap or warm sensation as the light is absorbed by the targeted areas
- The BBL procedure takes 20-30 minutes depending on the area being treated.
- No anesthesia is required
- After the procedure, you may see mild redness in the treated area immediately after which should resolve within the hour. For some pigmented lesions you may see a darkening of the treated areas followed by fading and flaking off at a later stage. Your treated skin will also feel smooth with fine wrinkles and pores being less noticeable.
- A series of 3 to 5 treatments, spaced 4 weeks apart are typical for most patients.
- Sciton BBL Photo Rejuvenation is safe for all skin types and can be performed on any area of the body where an improvement in your skin’s firmness, clarity, and texture is desired. Popular areas include the face, neck, abdomen, and hands
The Forever Young BBL
A new study by Stanford University and published in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology in August 2012 showed that the Sciton BroadBand Light (BBL™) treatments can change the expression of genes associated with the aging process to more closely resemble young skin.
The study supports the hypothesis that regulators of aging can be altered in human skin using BBL technology to provide a functional change, rather than just a cosmetic mimic of a youthful appearance. BBL treatments promote the appearance of youthful skin. This study reveals that the appearance of younger skin may be due to the differences observed in gene expression patterns of aged skin becoming more like young skin. This procedure has been called the Forever Young BBL treatments.
Infra-red Photo Rejuvenation
The infra-red light Photo Rejuvenation with the Sciton SkinTyte is a non-surgical skin tightening treatment. It can be combined with the Sciton BBL light to rejuvenate and tighten skin – this treatment is called the STAR treatment. The STAR treatment addresses the full spectrum of skin conditions associated with an aging, active lifestyle, and sun damage.
The LED Photo Rejuvenation
The LED lamp uses a matrix of light-emitting diodes (LEDs) that deliver narrowband light at a specific wavelength. There are different LED wavelengths
- Blue LED light: Treat acne-causing bacteria
- Red LED light: Treat acne-causing bacteria, reduces redness and rosacea
- Near-infrared LED light: Boosts collagen and elastin production, speeds up wound healing after laser or skin surgery
- Infra-red LED light: Penetrates deeper into the skin to rebuild and tighten skin tissue
LED Photo Rejuvenation uses near-infrared or infrared LED light – a process called photobiomodulation
LED Photo Modulation/Photo Rejuvenation procedure
- The eyes are protected with goggles
- The LED lamp is lowered to a few centimeters above the face and is switched on
- You will sense a fairly bright light
- You might feel a mild warmness but there is no pain or discomfort
- The treatment lasts 20-30 minutes
- After the procedure, if the skin is sensitive it may be pink for a short while. Over time the skin looks firm and smooth
Cutera Laser Genesis Photo Rejuvenation
Cutera Laser Genesis Photo Rejuvenation uses the Nd-YAG long pulse laser to gently heat the upper dermis well below the skin’s surface and this heating stimulates collagen regrowth. Additional heat is generated in dilated capillaries to reduce facial or skin redness.
The Cutera Laser Genesis Photo Rejuvenation procedure
- The eyes are protected with safety laser goggles
- The laser handpiece is moved back and forth about 1-2 cm above the skin. You may experience a gentle warming of the skin surface. Some people described the laser genesis treatment as relaxing. No anesthesia is required
- Each treatment takes 20 minutes.
- After the treatment, there may be mild redness or swelling and this is normal
- Usually, 4-6 treatments at monthly intervals are required
Advantages of Laser Genesis Photo Rejuvenation
- It is comfortable and does not require anesthesia
- It restores skin glow and complexion
- It smooths out fine lines and skin roughness
- It reduces pore size, redness, brown spots, and red veins
Candela Picoway Resolve Fractional Photo Rejuvenation
Candela Picoway Resolve Photo Rejuvenation is a treatment using a fractional laser that delivers 2 wavelengths – the green 532 nm wavelength and the infra-red 1064nm wavelength. The laser light delivers fractional laser energy in the picosecond (that is one Trillionth of a second) and the Candela PIcoway laser has the shortest picosecond pulse (300picosecond) and the highest peak power among picosecond lasers.
The Candela Picoway Resolve holographic handpiece
The Candela Picoway resolve holographic handpiece delivers fractionated picosecond laser beams into the epidermis and dermis to create laser-induced optical breakdown(LIOB) and laser-induced cavitation (LIC) which in turn stimulates collagen and elastin. A fraction of the skin is treated at one time, leaving healthy skin around the treated area to promote quick healing The picosecond resolve holographic laser can:
- Rejuvenate skin
- Improve skin clarity and radiance
- Improve skin tone and pore size
- Improve skin texture
The Candela Picoway Resolve Photo Rejuvenation procedure
- The eyes are protected by safety laser goggles
- The Picowave Resolve handpiece is paint brushed over the skin till the desired endpoint is reached. You may feel a warm sensation
- After the treatment, there may be transient reddening of the skin which subsides spontaneously or within a few hours. You can resume normal activities after the laser treatment.
Candela Pulse Dye V beam Laser Photo Rejuvenation
The Candela Pulse Dye V beam laser beam is selectively absorbed by the oxyhemoglobin in red blood cells resulting in heating of the blood vessels. With the correct wavelengths and fluence, the vascular lesion will be heated to above 70 degrees Celsius. At that temperature, blood vessels will shrink which leads to a reduction of the vascular lesion. As the Candela Pulse Dye V Beam laser light is absorbed by the blood vessels within the skin, there is a release of growth factors. The growth factors stimulate collagen growth and result in
- Improvement of fine lines, pore size, skin texture, and skin firmness
- The blood vessels diminished in size and the skin redness improved
- Brown spots can also be removed by the Pulse Dye V Beam laser light.
The Candela Pulse Dye V beam Photo Rejuvenation procedure
- The eyes are protected by safety laser goggles
- The laser delivers a cooling mist onto the skin before the laser pulse is emitted. This cooling mist increases comfort during treatment as well as protects the skin to minimize side-effects like redness
- During treatment, you will feel a warming or tingling sensation or a sensation like a small rubber band hitting the skin. No anesthesia is required
- There may be redness immediately after the procedure and this will clear within 1-2 hours.
- You can resume normal activities and apply makeup after the procedure. No specific care is needed and you should use sunscreen.
- Over the course of 4-6 treatments, you will notice improvements in redness and flushing as well as in lines and wrinkles. The skin complexion improves, pores are smaller and signs of photoaging improved.
- Most people will feel a firming or tightening of the skin.
The ADVATx laser photorejuvenation
The ADVATx laser is a dual-wavelength laser that combines 2 lasers delivering the yellow light 589 nm and infra-red light 1319 nm wavelengths. It has over 15 US FDA/CE cleared indications including vascular conditions, acne, scars, warts, and wrinkles. It is used to
- Improve skin tone and dyschromia
- Lighten melasma and unwanted pigments
- Reduce wrinkles and improve skin texture
- Improve sun damage
- Clear acne and acne scars
- Reduce pore size
- Treat vascular birthmarks
- Treat spider veins and vascular abnormalities
- Treat rosacea
- Gold Microparticles Photothermal therapy
The ADVATx laser photo rejuvenation procedure
- The procedure is comfortable and does not need anesthesia
- The eyes are protected by safety laser goggles
- The laser beam is delivered across the skin in a to and fro motion
- The 2 laser lights are delivered one after the other
- You may feel a warm sensation during treatment
- There may be a mild redness seen but this will subside within the next hour.
- You can resume normal activities after the treatment.